While still not feature complete LastTab 3 is functional and stable enough to replace
LastTab 2 in many instances. Due to the longer than anticipated development cycle LastTab 3
is being released in accordance with an Agile development methodology. The t designator in the version
number indicates the current target, or task, reached.
Version 3 Tasks
Firefox 4 compatibility
Enhanced menu popup (menu with single large preview)
- Element activator + Popup Position support in options
- Previews popup (all previews)
- Focusing support for tab openers
- Mouse activator
- Firefox 4 new features (tab groups)
3.0t3.1 - April 30, 2011
- Increase performance of Enhanced Menu popup.
- Corrected issue on Linux where Options dialog would not save changes to Popups
module. Possibly on Mac, cannot test.
- Corrected issue on Linux where Menu popup would not display icons.
- Corrected issue in Firefox 4 where launch of browser would cause tabs to be
partially obscured when the window was maximized, tabs were on top, and menu bar
- Corrected issue in Firefox 4 where launch of browser would cause extra row of
space to be displayed at bottom of window when only one tab was open and tabs
were on top.
3.0t3 - March 27, 2011
- Introduced Enhanced Menu popup, which displays a menu along with a single large
preview. Replicates the popup displayed in LastTab 2.
- Re-introduced tab preview support. Previews can now be generated from the
content of the displayed web page, as opposed to including margin space.
Previews can be cached, with larger sized previews being scaled to display in
- Added Advanced tab in options dialog to expose options that are global in scope.
- Menu popup allows Home and End keys to move to the first and last item
- Menu popup selects first item when behavior is Toggle.
- Corrected issue on Linux systems where releasing the final modifier key of an
activator sequence did not remove the popup when the behavior was Quick.
Regression that was first fixed in LastTab 1.5.1.
- Removed Use Default Icons option from Menu popup, always considered true now.
- Enhanced Menu popup is released with only one color theme, and no support for
integrating with Firefox or System themes, to speed release since Firefox 4 is
released. Will add more in the next release.
3.0t2 - January 16, 2011
- Added session support, tab usage is remembered across browser sessions.
- Added the Transparent color theme for the Tab Bar popup.
- Fixed bug with position of Tab Bar popup in Firefox 4 when the window was
maximized and menu bar hidden.
- Fixed bug with popups not properly responding when a tab's label or image
changes while it's visible.
- Fixed performance problem when the popup sort is Site and the url contains a
long query string.
- Restricted maximum width of Menu popup.
- When the sort is Site sites without a subdomain appear before those that do.
- Better error handling when an error occurs while popup is visible: hide popup
and show error in console.
3.0t1 - December 15, 2010
- Introduced the concept of tab scope to all modules, supporting tab sources other
than the current window; in anticipation of supporting Firefox 4 Tab Groups.
- The grouping functionalty of Popups has been expanded to support other tab
sources. The Auto option is the same as Sort if one tab source is present, Tab
- Upgraded to work with Firefox 4.
- Moved away from a waterfall to an agile release cycle. The t designator in the
version represents the current target reached.
- The left and right arrow keys move left and right within the tab bar, rather
than logically within the sort order, for the Tab Bar popup.
- Removed the Popup Position tab from the Popup module's Action Details section in
the Preferences dialog until the designer is implemented.
- Changed the sort grouping of the Popup module to numbered groups rather than
3.0a1 - September 25, 2010
- Complete rewrite! Features are now conceptually organized into modules: Popups,
Focusing, Tab Count.
- The previous Ctrl-Tab specific functionality is now represented by the broader
concept of Popups.
- The Popups feature uses a list of actions to determine how to visually display
tab information, what activates the popup, how tabs are sorted, etc. This allows
for much more customizability than what was possible before, for example
customizable keys instead of always ctrl-tab.
- Tab Count control in status bar replaces tab count information in All Tabs
- Removed compatibility with Firefox versions prior to 3.0.
- The All Tabs popup menu is no longer handled by LastTab, will be represented by
a future Popup Activator.
- A popup displaying previews in the manner of LastTab 2 is planned.
2.2 - December 29, 2009
Added German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish translations.
Upgraded to work in Firefox 3.6.
Corrected tab list menu item display issue on Windows Vista and 7.
2.1.2 - June 13, 2009
Added Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian),
Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Turkish, and Ukranian translations.
Upgraded to work in Firefox 3.5.
Fixed access key not working for preferences dialog option Focus last tab on close.
2.1.1 - June 21, 2008
Fixed bug where focusing the most recently used tab when closing the current one
would initially block clicking on a new tab. Also resolved tab order not being retained
Fixed issue in Firefox 3 whereby clicking on the current tab to focus the last selected
tab, and clicking the close button on a tab, would subsequently block creation of
a new tab by double-clicking on the tab bar.
2.1 - June 16, 2008
The tab list and tab menu display the current url of the selected tab.
The up and down arrow keys may be used to navigate the tab list menu items.
Updated to work in Firefox 3.
When focusing the most recently used tab upon closing the current tab, unread tabs
are no longer inadvertently focused.
Fixed a bug where focusing the most recently used tab upon clicking the current
tab could sometimes not work properly.
Up and down scroll arrows no longer appear if a tab list is displayed with enough
tabs to cause it to expand off the screen.
Setting the hidden preference "useTabMenu" to false prevents the tab menu from being
Increased compatibility with other tab extensions.
2.0.5 - October 17, 2006
The tab history is now maintained across browser sessions, only available in Firefox 2.0+.
As of Firefox 2.0 the tab list now displays on Mac OS. Further resolved issues with the tab list
not displaying properly.
Speed improvement with the display of the tab list window across all platforms.
2.0.4 - October 8, 2006
Updated to work in Firefox 2.0. Hidden preference useTabMenu allows native tab menu to be used.
220.127.116.11 - July 24, 2006
Repackaged archive to see if this eliminates reported problems with installation.
2.0.3 - July 20, 2006
Resolved incompatibility with TabX and the "Focus last selected tab when
current tab is clicked" option. Also prevented this option from taking affect
while modifier keys are held down to help prevent compatibility issues with
2.0.2 - July 15, 2006
Fixed a memory leak which would occur if a window were closed.
2.0.1 - July 11, 2006
Fixed an issue where if multiple pages were set as home pages and the first tab
is closed upon starting Firefox LastTab would stop working.
2.0 - May 31, 2006
Added tab previews to the tab list, only available in Firefox 1.5 or higher.
Added a tab menu to the tab bar.
Added support for tab flipping: clicking on current tab takes you to last
Slightly improved the performance of the tab list display. Rapidly pressing
Ctrl-Tab to switch tabs should be a little quicker when displaying the tab
New look for the tab list if showing previews or the header.
Removed "Use current theme" option from preferences dialog. For technical
reasons it was necessary to provide a new look for the tab list when showing
previews and since no theme supports it, since it's new, using the current
theme has no meaning. Note, this preference still exists in about:config and is
actually used when not showing previews and the header.
1.5.2 - February 3, 2006
Updated version number in installer.
1.5.1 - November 9, 2005
Worked around a bug in Firefox for Linux which prevented LastTab from
functioning properly, thanks to David de Kloet for help in identifying the
problem. Firefox 1.5 is required for the workaround to be effective. Note that
some aspects of LastTab still do not work properly on Linux. The implemented
fix may solve MacOS X issues as well, but there are no people willing to test
this so I can't be sure.
1.5 - October 26, 2005
A tab list window appears when Ctrl-Tab is pressed; LastTab now works more like
Alt-Tab does on Windows. Mouse navigation of the tab list can be utilized as
well, allowing this to serve as a menu of tabs. Options to control the tab list
have been added; more in about:config, filter on "lasttab".
1.1.1 - September 16, 2005
Fixed problem preventing tabs from being used correctly with the new drag and
drop reordering of tabs feature in Firefox 1.5.
1.1 - December 12, 2004
Can now focus the last selected tab when a tab is closed.
An options dialog has been added to set various options, available from the
Extensions Manager in the Tools -> Extensions menu.
A hidden option to change how tabs loaded in the background are handled has
been added; hidden options can be accessed by entering "about:config" in the
address bar. This option's name is lasttab.favorLeftToRightOrdering and
defaults to true. This is a change from the previous behavior, which can now be
had by setting this to false.
A bug preventing new tabs from being recognized when they were created while
the control key was still pressed has been fixed.
Support for Firefox versions prior to 1.0 has been removed, LastTab will now
only install to versions 1.0 or higher.
1.0.5 - November 5, 2004
Updated installer, to work with Firefox 1.0.
1.0.4 - September 14, 2004
Updated code to work with Firefox 1.0.
1.0.3 - June 16, 2004
Updated installer to be compatible with Firefox 0.9.
1.0.2 - April 11, 2004
Removed tab count check when Ctrl-Tab is pressed. Allows Ctrl-Tab to work
properly when there is only one tab and links are opened in background.
1.0.1 - February 23, 2004
Holding down control prevents the tab history from being updated even if
Ctrl-Tab isn't being pressed. This allows other control-key based navigation
methods to work better, like Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown.
1.0 - February 22, 2004